Friday, December 9, 2011

DIY Friday #4: Poinsettia Flower

Finally, it's Friday!! And to top it off I have yet another Do It Yourself flower technique =) this time I am showing you how to make a Poinsettia out of paper. You all can think Sybrina for requesting this particular flower, I just love it when I get requests ;)

Also, with it being the holiday season and Christmas just around the corner makes it the perfect time for making Poinsettia's.

Ok, so here is the Poinsettia you have been so patiently awaiting:

(I made this at the last minute, last night so you can place your petals in a more beautiful fashion and mess around with them to spread a little more... I was making this in a bit of a hurry)



Step 1: Cut 3 strips of paper 1.5x4:





Step 2: Then fold all 3 of your strips vertically (so it's now 1.5x2)







Step 3: Then fold them horizontally






Step 4: Take your scissors and cut curved from the bottom right to the top left








Step 5: Open your folds, your petal should now look like this:







Step 6: Then fold your petal in half (if using a pattern you will want the pattern you want to show to be on the inside of the fold):






Step 7: Then fold the top of each side to the bottom where the crease it so it looks like this:







Step 8: Then fold your piece in half and it will look like this: Once you have you petals how you want them use a glue dot between the fold to hold it in place







Step 9: Once you have all your petals folded like this punch a 1" circle:









Step 10: Then adhere all of your petals onto your circle:










Step 11: Last add your center! I used my pearl pen to make a center for this flower, I didn't have time to let it dry completely but I will be going over the center again to make it look like 5 pearls are in the center of the flower (what I love about this liquid pearl is that you can color over it with copic markers after it dries!!!)










To make your Poinsettia even more beautiful ink the creases with a deep red or use a deep red stickles to add some extra shiny bling!


Also, head on over to Tiffany's blog, she made a b-e-a-utiful Poinsettia out of felt and has the DIY steps on how to make her felt Poinsettia ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    This is great! Thank you so very much!!!

    I have just the perfect paper to try out this technique -- and thinking about shading/highlighting with watered down acrylics to add some extra dimension.

    I really appreciate your willingness to take on my challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete