Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jillibean Soup: Coconut Lime

Wow- It is such a BEAUTIFUL day here in Columbus, Ohio. The sun is shining, current temp in the high 70's and the tree's are in full bloom! Today I have a page to share with you, it is a Sneak Peak from the April Sketch Of The Month Club with Pizazz It! Scrapbooks , this months kit is filled with tons of Jillibean Soup's Coconut Lime Line along with several other embellishments and cardstock.


If you happen to be in the Columbus, Ohio area tomorrow or Saturday for Memories Expo, stop by Scrap Happy -or- Cord Scrapbook Studio's booth and say "Hello" to me! I will be there selling my newly released sketches book!




This page is from my last trip that I made to The Gambia {West Africa} in 2010/2011. My boyfriend is originally from there and all of his immediate family still resides there so we were making a trip to visit with them. I had been to The Gambia once before and while I was there I realized an extreme {and I mean EXTREME} need for help in the educational area. So, since I was already planning a trip I thought it would be a wonderful idea to gather school supplies to ship there and donate them to the Peace Corps Educational Volunteers in The Gambia who would use the supplies at their local village schools. I was on a mission, I called my mission "A Future For The Gambia" and I was fortunate to work at a fabulous store who offered a discount for those who brought in school supplies to donate, I was also able to host a raffle, I purchased a $100 gift card and sold Raffle tickets $1 each. I was so, so thrilled with the response, with all the items that were donated and the additional items I had purchased to donate we filled FIVE 55-gallon containers worth of school supplies! I was able to raise a little over $600 with the raffle which just covered the cost of shipping. The supplies were split up amongst 22 different schools in 22 different villages throughout The Gambia. I am so happy I had the chance to do this and was overwhelmed by the amazing response of those who wanted to help me through this amazing journey-- To those of you that helped out, THANK YOU so much for making this possible, the children were so grateful as was I!

8 comments:

  1. Love your page, for the design sure, but even more for the story behind it. How are we so fortunate to live here, while others struggle for food, water, shelter, and education-things we take for granted?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what an experience!!
    Good luck selling your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful page and a great thing you're doing! I so agree with Madeline...we are SO fortunate here! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing story and a beautiful LO too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, good luck selling your books on Saturday. The layout is really great but the story behind the layout is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layout and heart warming story, well done to you!! Students st my girls local primary school do a similar thing for less fortunate children in Bali's Indonesian schools - if only a few more could be as generous Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so encouraging to hear- I'm often stuck wishing I knew what I could do to make things better in the world and here you are just DOING it! Very inspiring! I love that new Jillibean Soup line- the layout is fantastic. Congrats and good luck on your new links contest! Thanks for swinging by my blog- I always love hearing your feed back. :)

    ReplyDelete